4/11/2010

On Burma, good friends, and even better noodles

I feel very fortunate to be working with such a diverse, smart and nice group of people. My co-workers hail from places such as China, the Philippines, Cuba, Peru, Paraguay, Colombia, Romania, Greece, India and Ethiopia (to name a few). I love the cultural exchange we have on a daily basis! One of my friends is from Burma (not Myanmar - won't go into that discussion, but I can assure you, it's quite heated). She, like me, enjoys food and cooking and on many occasions (especially when her mother is in town) has invited me to sample her cooking. After talking, I learned that sharing your freshly cooked food with neighbors and friends is customary in Burma (and here I thought I was special, haha). When cooking, one takes into account this sharing and cooks more. I like that tradition. So this afternoon I was greeted with a pleasant surprise when I woke up after my nap (post-26 hour shift). I checked my phone and found the following:



So I went to the door and found:


Now a post call day cannot get better than that. I especially enjoyed her instructions.

"How to eat: Pour the soup on noodle and mix all together. Enjoy the noodle!"

About the food: it tasted 100 times better than it looked. For those who don't know Burmese cuisine, I would describe it best as a mix of Thai, Indian, Chinese and Vietnamese [very vague, but should get you in the ball park]. So, the noodles were amazing. Two types of noodles (soft and crispy [boiled vs fried]) served with julienned carrots/cabbage, cilantro, grilled curried chicken with a coconut and chili based broth. Extremely Scrumptious!

Its great having awesome friends!!! Now I need to cook a piñon to pay her back!

1 comment:

Mariel said...

What do you mean you like the tradition of making extra food for friends!!! DUHHHHHHHHHH You are latino you have been raised with the same tradition!!!!