7/18/2010

A Week in New York 7/18/2010

Actually on schedule for the next post!

Just taking pictures during my commute. I need to start exploring the upper west side more.

Fruit man on the corner by work. Have picked up a few mangos from him. Good stuff so far. I suspect I'll become a regular.


Also changed up the commute. Changed to the A train, as I don't have to transfer. Was going well until mid week when, on Wednesday, they had to stop the train cause 2 guys were fighting on it and then again Thursday morning when one train was having a breaking malfunction and stopped every 3 seconds. It took 20 minutes to go 1 stop! Luckily I was able to transfer back over to the old reliable 2/3 for the rest of the way. I have to start biking to work again! (can't wait for mornings when the ambient temperature is less than 85 degrees).

Columbus circle.

More of christopher's ring.


Had a soccer game Tuesday night. Game was great, 6v6 Columbus Park (as always). Biked home as it was a great night. Luckily the rain hadn't come in yet.


It did show up by Wednesday though.


I Love the Hudson Hotel building - pass by it daily - never gets old.


The office. Still settling in.


My lunch usually comes from the salad bar in the cafeteria. My general approach is, well, non-existant. I kinda just grab alot of random stuff and try to stuff the little box as much as possible. I'm gonna try packing lunch for all next week.



So the week flew by quickly. Went out Friday night with some friends. Stayed out pretty late, but had a great time. Worked out Saturday morning. Was not planning on playing soccer until Sunday. However, my friend Diego gave me a call saying we had our usual field for Saturday. So I rallied and hopped on the bike and headed over. However, on arrival I quickly noticed the field overrun by little children. Knowing we probably weren't going to be able to play, I was about to have at Diego, but figured I'ld cut him a break. Undeterred, we sent out looking for a game to play in . Luckily we found some guys in Sara Roosevelt park who invited us to play in their league game (as they were short 2 players). These guys were good. I don't think I had played so hard in a long time. Eager to not make the kind gentlemen regret their decision to allow us to play, I gave it 5000% from the go. Started up front on the right (my preferred position) and made a couple good passes but failed to put any away. Being totally drained by half and hour in, I switched to defense for the rest of the game. All in all, great game.


Famished after the game, I headed down to the Hester Street Fair. I met up with my cousin en route over there. HSF = totally awesome. Great food, good vibes, all around perfect for a sat/sun afternoon.


Guerilla Ice Cream - awesome ice cream and extremely friendly staff. Gave unlimited free samples!!!


Spice trader.


mmmmmmmm....


MMMMmmmmmm...


Fresh watermelon popsicle.


Melt bakery: read the descriptions and begin salivation.


"Elvis, get in my belly!!!"



My post game meal.



This guy was awesome. He was making Taiyaki (a fish shaped, stuffed pancake). I went to get one, spoke a little of my broken Japanese to practice for a bit. He was very happy to hear me order in Japanese, so much so that he gave me and extra taiyaki for free! Sugoi!!!


Was so tired that night, decided to stay in and read. Made an interesting salmon "burger" for dinner. Rye bread, honey mustard/miso mixture, salmon burger, topped with squash and herbs de provence. Sounds strange, but very tasty.


Great way to start a Sunday! Rosemary feta omelet over a black beans with chilis and tomatoes with a glass of green tea.


No cars along the streets due to this project being filmed. I'll have to keep an eye out for it.


Was running low on food so went to Costco with my cousin. There is a new Costco on 117th street. Strangely awesome going to Costco in Manhattan.


Either way, now my fridge is full!!!


Post Costco, we spent the afternoon walking around.


Had a good groove going...


Busted!

Stooping


On Montague


We got back, appetites adequately built from all the walking, and decided to make Japanese curry. Instead of potatoes, we added platains for the starch component.


Bubbling away....


Tasting the Japarican curry. I think it passed the test!! Oishii!!


Corona in disguise


Tal's new keychain is a stella fan.


Was quite tasty. More blackberry than cabernet, but tasty nonetheless.


The Japarican curry pega'o. I wonder if there is a word in Japanese for pega'o?

1 comment:

Natalia said...

Love it gaby! What awaits us this weekend?!