7/12/2010

A Week in New York: Inaugural Post!


Heylo all. Apologies for not posting for a while. It has been a hectic couple months, but luckily the transition to the new job is over and I'm settling into my new apartment well. So now that I have a little extra time, I figured I'ld start a new series on the blog. I'm calling it "A Week in New York." Basically, I'll post pictures that I take throughout the week. I hope this inspires me to both take more pictures (as I've been kinda lax on the photography and have kinda plateaued in technique recently) as well as update on a regular basis. So without further ado, I give you last week...


(really, the pictures extend as far back as the 4th of July - I needed some good material for the first post. From now on the fotos will reflect the prior week only). So I put in alot of time on my bike over the holiday weekend. Rode 20+ miles on the 4th!

The plan was to meet up with friends in Central Park. I decided to bike up from Brooklyn to meet him at his place on the Upper East Side. Now this is usually not a problem. However, it happened to be one of the hottest days of summer, reaching 90+ in temperature. Needless to say, I was drenched in sweat by the time we met up. We then headed to Central Park, which was a bad call as it offered little/no reprieve from the sun's fury.

Proud to say we at least put in one good hour of frisbee before fleeing indoors.

Walking around the city is always fun, especially in summer. There is a plethora of free activities/events going on to take advantage of. One such event is the "Play Me, I'm Yours" campaign . Basically, organizations donate pianos that are placed throughout the city for public use. It's awesome! This one is in the Peace Fountain garden near St John the Divine Church in Morningside Heights - perfect place for me to bust out a little Debussy for an some homeless people.
Back downtown, enjoying some street art.


I feel the same way most Mondays

I miss my old apartment and Chinatown so much!


Relaxing before the lunch rush

The view from the new hood. Luckily had the tripod handy.


Smiling shoulders. Take a closer look at yours, maybe you'll find a friendly face.

Walking around with Natalia, doing DUMBO/BBP


Ah, summer! How I love thee!


Another of the "Play Me, I'm Yours" pianos. This guy played and awesome rendition of Libertango by Piazzolla.

Iced coffee - refreshingly dehydrating.

Late night on a rooftop in the Bowery, having one of those "I love this town" talks in awesome company. The photo captures the moment, but does it no justice.

Watching the World Cup final under the Manhattan Bridge.

Quite a turnout

Enough shots of the crowd - time to watch the game!
Spain wins!!


















1 comment:

Unknown said...

loving this gaby. i hope we can swing through ny around aug 21 or get stuck at jfk on our way out at the beggining of august. for the columbus pic in the newer post, i want one where the statute looks completely part of the streetlight...