So the week started out as per usual: work, study, gym, cook, study sleep, work etc etc ad infinitum ( and at times, ad nauseum). Either way, snapped a picture of the view from the window. Not to shabby, eh?
So I did a cost analysis and have come to the conclusion that I should pack lunch everyday. Hence, turkey on wheat, apple, and nuts everyday.
Having to move my car during the week for street sweeping generally sucks. I've been trying to spin it positive and use it as way to help me discover new areas around brooklyn. My recent strategy has been to throw the bike in the back and park in a new, generally far away, place and bike back. This week I parked in the Vinegar Hill area. It's a pretty cool area that I will definitely be exploring more in the future. I stumbled across this building. Note the address, 69 Gold Street. That was my address when I lived in Manhattan. Interesting there is the exact same address directly across the East River.

Also stumbled across this Tibetan Buddhist Monastery - who'd have thunk it!
Back at work, just BSing with the techs for a bit. Walked into the room and one asked me if I thought Megan Fox (of the Transformers Movie fame) was attractive. Basically the conversation went a little like this: "Hey man, would you get with Megan Fox if you could?" to which I replied "Of course!" His retort: "What about her gorilla thumbs? That shit's nasty!!!" Which eventually led to all of us looking up pictures of her thumbs, which are admittedly quite gigante.
See! I encourage you to do the following google image search: "Megan Fox thumbs." It's quite entertaining. Either way, I stand behind my original answer.

On a happier note, the promenade sink hole has been fixed!! Way to go parks and recreation!!
Made some interesting dinners this week. I dedicate this one to my grandmother, who taught me the beautiful art of the mejunje. This is butternut squash topped with a fried egg, sardines and mango salsa, finished off with a little herbs de provence. It was actually pretty tasty (albeit not visually appealing).
Brekkie Saturday morning was a little more normal. I stumbled across Iris Cafe earlier that week and it has become one of my favourite places. Definitely will make it my local haunt. Here I enjoy two soft boiled eggs with toast, washed down with their exquisite coffee.
I love it when you can do everything you need to do in a day. Woke up early saturday, had a good breakfast. Studied a good number of hours then headed to hang out in Williamsburg with my cousin, who was meeting some of her friends at the Brooklyn brewery.
I love the brewery.
Responsibly expecting.
Wooden gold. This is how you get beer at the brewery. Wood tokens reminiscent to pogs. Either $4 for one, or 6 of $20. Any good capitalist knows which option we took.
One of the coolest things about the Brewery is the set-up inside. There is this large room with a large bar in the back, the rest filled in with picnic tables. You are free to bring cards, food, whatever suits your fancy and just hang out there and drink their beer. People order pizzas there as well. Very relaxed vibe. Glancing over at his hand.
Not the best way to prepare for my soccer game later that afternoon.
We ended up donating our cups to an adjacent table at which a group of cunning youngsters were constructing a massive plastic cup pyramid.
I always check out the thrift store across the street from the brewery, as well as the skate park next door.
Stopped by a few thrift stores on the way back actually.
Also enjoyed the ample street art around. Been seeing alot of new Shepard Fairey popping up recently.
Checking out some late night mahjong (or some similar Chinese tile game) at Columbus park after my soccer game. The game was painful, to say the least. Now, eating or drinking before strenuous activity is always a bad idea. Having a beer or two is even worse. However, I sucked it up and played hard. That was until I took a ball straight to the gonads, adding insult to injury. I nearly vomited about 5 times after that. Undaunted, I opted to play goalie for a while to shake it off. Was eventually able to make it back up front for a bit. Had a good 7v7 going, so it was unfortunate that I was in the shite state of affairs I was in. But, despite the setbacks, good game. Hung around the park for a while afterwards. Chinatown, how I miss having you so close!
One of my favourite bars in chinatown, if not the city entirely. Great mix of hipsters and drunken Chinese men. Awesome!
Sunday was a great day as well. Again, woke up early, did a bit of studying, then headed out for lunch with Tal and Brent (who is in town for the weekend). Given my penchant for markets/street fairs, I suggested we check out the new Red Hook Mercado. It's a new weekend market here in Brooklyn. Some cool street art around as well.
Red Hook Mercado. It had started raining, so not to crowded. Also there weren't too many vendors out. Smaller than imagined given its description in the newspaper. Had a few Latino food stands, an area to buy plants/shrubbery, and a few other vendors.
Shared som Pupusas with Tal. Pretty legit.
Hung around the east village for a bit with Brent/Tal.
Ended up stumbling into Ippudo for dinner. Were offering a special "Hakata Ton" ramen. Thick tonkotsu style ramen, but added a peanut sauce and some more spice to it. F'in awesome!! Basically ended up eating the rest of the day. Dropped Tal off at her apartment. Got some FroYo on the way. Then me and Brent headed back to study for a bit. Headed out for a quick pint later and ended up stopping by this new sushi place by my apt. They have the best deal ever, 19 pieces sashimi + salad/soup + rice for $20.
Stumbled across this beast on the outing on Sunday. I'm thinking about having Louis do my truck as well.
Alright well back to studying and work. Let's see what next week brings.






No comments:
Post a Comment